Archives and C-32

Michael McKinnie m-mckinnie at NWU.EDU
Fri Nov 29 15:39:46 EST 1996

Candram colleagues,

As an additional piece of information to Dorothy Hadfield's posting
regarding C-32 and its potential impact on historical work in Canada, I've
included the following lengthy post from H-CANADA, the Canadian history
listserv.  It provides more up-to-date information on the status of bill
C-32, and the Canadian Historical Association/Societe Historique du Canada
intervention before the standing committee.  They have articulated a clear
position on the bill, and if you agree with it, you might want to support
their efforts by contacting the appropriate MP's and ministers.  From all
the stuff floating around, it sounds as though Sheila Copps has constructed
an artists versus scholars divide, so it might be useful for Canadian
theatre historians to emphasize the link between healthy Canadian theatre
scholarship and Canadian theatre practices.

This is, of course, only the legal access side of the coin.  As for the
financial access, that remains an important issue.

Michael

--
Michael McKinnie
Interdisciplinary PhD in Theatre and Drama
m-mckinnie at nwu.edu