Angels in T.O.?

Glen McQuestion gmcquest at CCSHST06.CS.UOGUELPH.CA
Thu Oct 10 09:48:33 EDT 1996

> Not everyone in Calgary is "making a fuss" over Angels.  It's turning out
> to be one of the biggest hits Alberta Theatre Projects has had.  So far
> a couple of MLA's and some journalists have been upset by it.  Big
> deal.  Box office alone seems to prove that their response is uninformed
> and out of touch.  Apparently there has been some controversy over the
> show even in Toronto.  Speaking for the Calgarians who were looking
> forward to it all summer, this production certainly lived up to the play's
> reputation.  The only bad thing about it is we have to wait until next May
> to see the second part on stage.
>
> Jeff Goffin

Does success at the box office necessarily indicate that a production
is "good"?  It seems to me that successful Broadway shows always
bring with them a great deal of hype that makes them much more
"marketable" than our native plays.  This is not to say that *Angels
in America* is not a show worth seeing - I haven't had a chance to see
it yet - but the argument that large sales = quality set off a few
alarm bells in my head.
Glen McQuestion
gmcquest at uoguelph.ca