Remembering Behan

Jeffrey Goffin jgoffin at ACS.UCALGARY.CA
Thu Oct 10 15:26:05 EDT 1996

Here's a request for some very odd help.

I'm covering Brendan Behan with one of my classes over the next few weeks.
Before his death in 1964 he visited Canada and on one ocassion was
arrested in Toronto.  Stan Davies' article in SATURDAY NIGHT called SHED A
TEAR FOR BRENDAN (May 1964) is the only reference to this I have been able
to find.  According to Davies, Behan was in T.O. in 1960 to emcee a
variety show at the O'Keefe Centre.  Apparently he got bored with the
event, showed up on stage drunk and abusive.  "Later, after further
drinking, he hit a policeman and was arrested."

Is there anyone out there in Candrama cyberspace who knows anything more
about this event or can direct me to more information about it?  Even
a reference to what month in 1960 this took place would be useful.
There is no newspaper index for Canadian newspapers in the 60's so short of
skimming through a year's worth of newspaper on microfilm it's not likely
I'll be able to find anything about it without some help.

Thanks,
Jeff Goffin