CFP: Community-Based Theater (12/1) (fwd)

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Wed Oct 30 14:28:55 EST 1996

F.Y.I.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 18:40:29 GMT
From: Tobin Nellhaus <nellhaus at BIDDEFORD.COM>
Subject: CFP: Community-Based Theater (12/1)

CALL FOR PAPERS ON COMMUNITY-BASED THEATER

City Play Grounds:
International Perspectives on
Urban Community-based Theatre

Throughout the world, community-based theatre projects are flourishing.
These activist theatres aim to serve a particular community's social and
political needs, and often involve community members in staging their own
culture's narratives and beliefs.  *City Play Grounds: International
Perspectives on Urban Community-based Theatre* will bring together essays
on community- based, community-oriented, "grassroots" performance projects
around the world that occur in an urban setting.  (A projected second
volume will focus on projects in rural locations.)  We invite scholars and
practitioners to submit paper proposals for this collection.

Proposals, two or three pages long, should examine a specific
community-based theatre project (or projects) occurring in an urban or
possibly suburban setting and dealing in some way with issues of particular
concern to the city.  The "community" may be geographic, sociological,
ethnic, or some other social group.  We are especially interested in
articles that take a cultural studies, cultural materialist, feminist, or
performance studies approach, and that contribute to the collection's
international survey.  Please include information about yourself (c.v.,
resume, or descriptive letter) that we may pass on to prospective
publishers with your proposal.

Proposals are due *December 1, 1996*, and may be sent to either address
below.

Susan Haedicke                       Tobin Nellhaus
Department of English                38 Deering Avenue
The George Washington University     Portland, ME  04101
Washington, D.C.  20052              nellhaus at biddeford.com
shaedick at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu