Call for Submissions to F.O.O.T. 1997 conference/arts festival

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Mon Sep 9 03:09:32 EDT 1996

*** CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS ***

F.O.O.T. 1997 -- FESTIVAL OF ORIGINAL THEATRE
Drama, University of Toronto, which unites academia and the arts in a
spirit of cross-disciplinary exploration.  F.O.O.T. combines conference
papers, panel discussions, workshops, play readings, story telling, and
original stage performances and films.

This year, F.O.O.T. will explore theatre, film, and performance
historiography and pedagogy: what we as scholars study and how this
information is disseminated in the classroom, particularly as it applies
to the discipline of performance history/historiography.  We invite
proposals for academic papers and original performances which complement
the exploration of our theme.

Productions should be no more than 1 hour in duration and will be provided
with dramaturgical assistance.  Priority will be given to original works.
Papers should explore the methodology, theory, and terminology used in the
study of the performing arts a nd must be no more than 20 minutes in
duration.  Proposed topics may include but are not limited to:

   * Historicising Theory and Theorising Historiography
   * Biography and Autobiography in the Performing Arts
   * Period Performance Reconstruction
   * The Use and Abuse of Performance History
   * Theatre and Living Museums
   * The State of Performance Studies in Canada
   * Historical Evidence: definition, documentation, access, and
          interpretation
   * Performance Archives, Museums, and Collection
   * Constructing Curricula and Canons
   * Theatre and Film as Teaching Tools
   * Vocabularies, Languages, and Rhetorical Strategies

Proposals should include your name, address, title of submission, and a
500 word abstract or performance synopsis.

DEADLINES FOR PROPOSALS:   Original works      18 November 1996
                           Papers               9 December 1996

We will be celebrating F.O.O.T.'s fifth anniversary.  We hope you will
join us!

     --- Artistic Directors: Kathy Chung, Jessica Gardiner, Kirsty Johnston

** Please direct your submissions or inquiries to:

Artistic Directors, F.O.O.T. 1997
Graduate Centre for Study of Drama
University of Toronto
214 College St, 3rd Fl.                   Tel: (416) 978-7986
Toronto, Ontario                          Fax: (416) 971-1378
Canada    M5T 2Z9                       Email: graduate.drama at utoronto.ca