CALL FOR INTERNATIONAL HEROINES: The 100 Heroines Project

Heroine100 Heroine100 at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 22 09:57:09 EST 1997

Hello,
Do you believe in supporting women in their struggle for equal rights?  If so,
we encourage you to nominate a woman to receive global recognition for her
work and a grant of up to $1,000 dollars to help her continue her work.

I am writing on behalf of a non-profit organization that was established after
the Fourth UN Conference on Women in Beijing, China in September, 1995.  The
goal of our organization, called The 100 Heroines Project, is to recognize 100
women from 100 different countries for their struggle toward achieving equal
rights for women.  Details of this project may be found at our web site
(http://www.rit.edu/~shcgsl/). I have included a nomination form with this
note.

Please consider taking the time to honor the women who are working so
valiantly for women's equality, rights, and freedom around the world.  You may
nominate a woman personally, or on behalf of your organization.  You may also
nominate more than one woman (on different nomination forms).  We are
especially interested in recognizing heroines in the third world and
developing countries, however, nominations of all heroines are welcome and
appreciated.

Nominees must currently be living and meet all three of the following
criteria:
 - act courageously to achieve freedom and equality for women
 - risk their social acceptance, health, financial security, or even their
lives on behalf of women’s rights, and
 - serve as a role model for women and girls

Please feel free to write if you have any questions.   I look forward to your
nomination(s).

With kind regards,
MJ Hannan
The 100 Heroines Project
Nomination Committee
 CALL FOR INTERNATIONAL HEROINES: The 100 Heroines Project

 NOMINATE A HEROINE TO RECEIVE GLOBAL RECOGNITION AND A MONETARY AWARD OF UP
TO $1,000* !!

 In the United States, 150 years ago, a handful of brave and heroic women held
the first Women's Rights Convention near Rochester, New York, USA. This
convention and the subsequent involvement of Rochester's own Susan B. Anthony
launched the struggle by American women for equality under the law.

 In 1995, women from around the world met in Beijing, China to attend the
United Nation's Fourth World Conference on Women. Nine of them were from
Rochester, New York.  These women united to form the Beijing Women of
Rochester (BWR), and established The 100 Heroines Project in their commitment
to continue the struggle for women's equality around the world.

 1998, which is the 150th anniversary of the First Women's Rights Convention,
and the United Nations Year of Human Rights is a perfect opportunity to honor
not only our heroines from the past, but to recognize the heroines of today.
Women who have the courage to speak out against unspeakable odds, women, who
like our ancestors, have made supreme sacrifices in the name of women and the
rights they deserve.  These women refuse to accept the constraints and
discrimination that limit their lives.  They refuse to give in to the violence
that threatens their health and the safety of their families.  They refuse to
remain silent.  In their acts of courage they give voice to all women, hope to
all humanity.  They are heroines.

 Susan B. Anthony left us with the words "failure is impossible", and it is
our hope that we can do justice to that legacy. That with the selection of 100
Heroines from around the world we can continue the fight to bring recognition
to the courageous women who believe change is possible.

 To nominate a woman as a heroine, please provide the information requested
below, and return it through electronic mail, fax, or mail.  We invite
nominations of women from all over the world who meet ALL THREE of the
following criteria:
 - act courageously to achieve freedom and equality for women
 - risk their social acceptance, health, financial security, or even their
lives on behalf of women’s rights, and
 - serve as a role model for women and girls.

 Selected heroines will be honored with:
 - a monetary award to support their continued fight for women’s equality and
freedom, and
 - inclusion in a book of photographic essays.  The book, which will be
distributed globally to benefit other women, will depict the challenges these
women face worldwide.

_____
 INSTRUCTIONS:

 Provide the information outlined below, and send through e-mail, fax, or
Postal Service to:
 E-mail:        Heroine100 at aol.com
 Web Site:      http://www.rit.edu/~shcgsl/
 Mail:  100 Heroines, P.O. Box 23750, Rochester, NY  14692, USA
 Fax:   (01) 716.586.7523       Phone:  (01) 716.234.4292

 PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS NOMINATION FORM FREELY

 Completed nomination forms will be reviewed and the winners will be selected
by a panel of judges.  Nomination forms become the property of The 100
Heroines Project.  The selected heroines will be notified by July 30th, 1998.

 NOMINATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED AND ARE DUE NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 28,
1998

 PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER, FOR EACH
NOMINEE (on no more than 3 pages):

 1. Biographical Information: Nominee’s Name, Country / Nationality, Date of
Birth, Address, Phone, Fax, Electronic mail address

 2. Describe the nominee’s courageous activities on behalf of women and why
she would be called heroic in her own country.

 3. What challenges are the most difficult for the nominee to overcome in her
struggle toward achieving equal rights and freedom for women?

 4. Please provide a brief description of nominee’s personal background.

 5. Please provide the following information for TWO references for validation
purposes: Name, Address, Phone, Fax, Electronic mail address

 6. Provide the following information on the person nominating the heroine
(candidates may nominate themselves):  Name, Organization, Address, Phone,
Fax, Electronic mail address
 * The 100 Heroines Planning Committee hopes to raise enough funds to provide
a grant of up to $1,000 (U.S. Dollars) for each selected heroine.  The awards
are contingent upon the success of this fund-raising campaign.  The 100
Heroines Planning Committee reserves the right to reduce the number and amount
of awards based on funds raised. >>