New list for theatre reporters/critics

David Akin jdakin at FOXNET.NET
Fri Jan 17 00:42:46 EST 1997

Some time over the next few months, I hope to be able to announce the =
establishment of new discussion list tentatively titled CANCRITIC-L.
CANCRITIC-L will be an unmoderated public mailing list for writers, =
editors, publishers, and broadcasters interested in general media =
coverage of Canadian art forms - and Canadian performing arts in =
general.

At this writing, I expect many of those members of the Canadian =
Theatre Critics Association who have e-mail access will likely form =
the core of the group.

In general, the list we're working on should be a good place for arts =
reporters and reviewers to gossip, debate, and theorize a bit about =
the business we're in. It's not the place to publish reviews or =
features.

Here's some of the items I expect will be of interest to those on the =
list (and will differentiate it from lists like CANDRAMA):
=80 Relationships between arts group administrators and their =
publicists and reporters or reviewers convering those groups.
=80 How new media technology can improve coverage of Canadian art =
events.
=80 Announcements of events of interest to arts journalists but not =
necessarily announcements of art events, such as the opening of a =
play or a gallery.
=80 Who's doing what. This would be the spot to announce personnel =
changes of interest to an arts journalist.
=80 Assessment of government initiatives that affect coverage of =
Canadian arts.
=80 Assessment of factors that influence media's ability to cover =
Canadian arts.
=80 A trading place for information and questions related to the =
craft of reporting on arts events.
=80 Announcements about new jobs and story tips for freelancers or =
editors.
I expect to be the administrator of the list, which means I should be =
able to answer questions about how CANCRITIC-L will work. I hope to =
have it operating as soon as possible and will pass information along =
to those wish it. At that time, I will forward more detailed =
instructions about joining the list and using it. in the meantime,  =
I'm collecting names and e-mail addresses of those who might be =
interested in forming the inaugural group on such a list.

Let me know if you'd like to receive updates on this list as they =
become available.

David Akin                  VOX: 807/343-6255
Staff Reporter              FAX: 807/343-9409
The Chronicle-Journal  Internet: jdakin at foxnet.net
Thunder Bay, Ontario, CANADA