Canadian plays from the late 40s, the 50s and 60s

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Sat Mar 1 13:23:01 EST 1997

Hello all,

I am making a survey/list of Canadian plays sorted by DATE (first
performance) and I am discovering that while it is much easier to come up
with plays from the 1970s onward, it is more difficult finding a large
number of works written in the late 40s, the 50s and 60s.  Primarily, it
is for my special field reading list (Cdn drama post WWII with focus on
plays by women and "history" plays) but it is also turning in to a matter
of "sleuthing"  interest.

(1) Could you name or suggest interesting Cdn plays from this period?
I've gone through various sources, including the Brock bibliography, and
the pickings are slim.

(2) Could you suggest a reference source which is organised by DATE of
first performance?

Of course, one issue is: how do you define "Canadian"?  For now, let's
start with works by a playwright living in Canada.

Thanks!!   Cheers, kathy.