ACTR programme

Richard Plant rplant at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Fri Mar 7 10:32:43 EST 1997

Hello Richard Sutherland, et al:

I can report that students in my undergraduate courses (in the fall and
again this winter) have contacted the web site. This occurred in a
computer resources session I do (I mis-spoke: Cory Laverty in the Stauffer
Library holds the workshop for me). I believe the response was positive --
jokes about my name being in it aside.

Moreover, I am increasingly aware that the research method of choice for
students is electronic -- to the point that I have many visits to my
office in which a student will say something to the effect that s/he
cannot find information on such and such a topic (the toipic s/he and i
have discussed for the project in question). Well, did you check -- and
often I draw attention to the Ball/Plant bibliography (probably not for
the first time). The answers invariably indicate that if the material is
not on one of the electronic search engines, the student tends not to
consider looking elsewhere (without further encouragement).

In short, I wonder whether there is a count of hits on the site which
would include those done from places such as the one I just mentioned?
But, even more important, I feel the web site is essential. I also
believe that it works.

Earlier today I received very strong opinion among the communications of
the members of the ACTR/ARTC executive, particularly from Professor
Louise Forsyth, not only a distingushed scholar but formerly acting dean
of graduate study and research at her university -- in other words, a
person who is aware of research and the discipline from several
perspectives-- that we must ensure the on-going development of electronic
communication resources, including the web site.

I can understand you disappointment in the response to the web site, and
even to the general absence of discussion on Candrama. But I also urge you
not to underestimate the value of the site not the appreciation your
colleagues in theatre research hold for your work. This latter may be even
less obvious, because generally unspoken, than the hits on the site.

As President of ACTR/ARTC, and as a teacher and scholar, I want to say a
thank you for your work. It is not unnoticed nor unappreciated.

I also know that what I've just said won't help you with your income tax.
But not much does with income tax.

Richard Plant