"The Siege of Quebec", 1773

Jim Hoffman's T*H*E*A*T*R*I*X jhoffman at CARIBOO.BC.CA
Tue Oct 14 12:54:07 EDT 1997

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, BOURASSA ANDRE G wrote:

> Bonjour!
> Charles Durang, in "The Philadelphia Stage", _Sunday Dispatch_, vol. VII,
> no. 8, 25 June 1854, mentions a play called _The Conquest of Canada, or
> The Siege of Quebec_, given by the American Company, at the Theatre at
> Southwark. He writes (p. 1, column 2 and 3):
> "The most interesting event of the season was the production of the second
> original American drama ever performed on the stage, which event took
> place in the 17th of February 1773. The piece was called "The Siege of
> Quebec", and was a patriotic drama. It was patronized by the officers of
> the British army and navy then in Philadelphia, who loaned the services of
> detatchments of soldiers and sailors to give effect to the battles and
> processions. The following is the playbill upon the occasion."
> In the transcription of the bill is given the full title, as above, and
> the main characters, among whom Wolfe, Montcalm, Levi, Bougainville, an
> abbess and two nuns. Durang adds:
> The author of "The Conquest of Canada" is unknown. As the piece was never
> performed previously, it is fair to suppose that he was an American."
>
> My questions are:
> 1. Do we know more now about that play? Has the author been identified?
> Has the texte been preserved?

        The playwright could be George Cockings, who wrote a play with
this title around 1766. I'm not aware of any productions; it seems to be a
closet play -- he admits to not being "conversant with the stage" and to
wanting to stick to historical facts. There were likely other playscripts
on these same events: I know there was a show at Astley's Royal Circus in
London in 1790 entitled "The Siege of Quebec; Or, the Death of General
Wolfe", self-described as "a most magnificent and superb Military
Spectacle...." I read the Cockings play a few months ago while
researching at the British Library.
        Best wishes in finding further info...
        Jim Hoffman

> 2. Would it be fair also to suppose that the author was a British officer,
> who may have joined the Congress during the war of Independance, and
> indeed be considered as an American, but who may also have stayed true to
> the Crown (as Major Jean Andre' has done) and even join the Loyalist in
> Canada, as Andre' was trying to when he was arrested?

3. Has this play been presented later on elsewhere?
> Amities, Andre G. Bourassa.
>    **** **** **** Andre G. Bourassa     Departement de theatre
>   **** **** ****                        Universite du Quebec a Montreal
>  **** **** ****   Tel: (514) 987-3000   C.P. 8888, succ. "Centre-ville"
> **** **** ****             poste 8438   Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
>          ****     Fax: (514) 987-7881   H3C 3P8
>         ****      INTERNET: bourassa.andre_g at uqam.ca
> Site "Theatrales" http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/c2545/index.htm
> miroir europeen:  http://www.brookes.ac.uk/schools/sol/uqam/index.htm
> Forum Queatre:    http://www.cru.fr/listes/queatre@uqam.ca/

*   Jim Hoffman, Theatre Program, University College of the Cariboo    *
*      P.O. Box 3010, Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada, V2C 5N3      *
*                Phone: 250-828-5315  Fax: 250-371-5697                *
*       URL: http://www.cariboo.bc.ca/ae/vpa/jhoffman/home.htm         *