1998 awards nominations reminder, the sequel

Edward Mullaly mullaly at UNB.CA
Thu Jan 22 12:56:19 EST 1998

At 12:09 PM 1/22/1998 -0500, Michael Sidnell wrote:
>I notice that the essay prizes are now being given for the "best essay".
>Is my recollection that they used to be given for "an outstanding" essay
>faulty? Michael
>Michael J. Sidnell

To the best of my memory, when we set these prizes up the idea was to reward
"outstanding" work.  "Best" is such a presumptuous adjective.........

Edward Mullaly                Consensus is unnatural for us.
Department of English         We're an English Department.  Let's
University of New Brunswick,  act like one.
Fredericton, NB  E3B 5A3
CANADA  (506) 453-4676                    -- Russo, 'Straight Man'
   fax: (506) 453-5069