Theatre as Science

Alastair M. Wallis Jarvis ajarvis at IS2.DAL.CA
Fri Jan 23 01:10:14 EST 1998

Greetings,

I am currently beginning research into attempts at the incorporation of
scientific theories and "scientific" modes of thought into theories of
and the practice of acting.

I have yet to locate the seminal work on the topic, if, in fact, there is
one. However, my point of departure looks to be Robert Cohn's _Acting
Power_ in which he introduces cybernetics, game theory and cognitive
dissonance into a Stanislavski based system of acting.

I wonder if any of the CANDRAMA subscribers are engaged in similar
research or if any of you know of researchers in the sciences whose work
has made an attempt to connect their field to the theory or practice of
theatre.

In addition, if anyone can e-mail me information regarding the status of
the PERFORM-L listserver, I would be most grateful.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerest Regards,

Alastair Jarvis
University of King's College