Call for Papers (fwd)

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Jul 14 10:27:56 EDT 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:42:05 -0400
From: "s.d. king" <sarahk at JULIAN.UWO.CA>
To: CANLIT-L at INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
Subject: Call for Papers (fwd)

Please forward to anyone who might be interested, other lists, etc.
Thankyou!

**Note revised deadline for submissions: August 1/98**

                                 CALL FOR PAPERS

Canadian Studies Conference organized by Graduate Students
in the English and French Departments at the University of Western Ontario

                           with the collaboration of the
                          Association of Canadian Studies

                              D'UN CANADA À L'AUTRE
                         CANADIAN CULTURAL (IN)TENSIONS
                              October 16 & 17, 1998

PLENARY SPEAKERS:       Sherry Simon (Concordia University)
                        E.D. Blodgett (University of Alberta)

How are Canadian histories, myths, public figures and concerns, relations to
other nations and peoples, represented differently from one part of the
country to another? How have representations changed over time, or have
they? What effects do these different representations have on our perception
of ourselves as Canadians, and our relation to community, region, language
and nation?

We invite graduate students in all disciplines whose work touches on the
study of Canada to submit proposals for short (fifteen to twenty-minute)
papers, in French, English, or both, on representations in/and/of Canada.
The conference aspires to involves students of Canadian culture in dialogue,
and to stimulate discussion about our similarities and differences, and the
ways in which these are affected by the multiple representations which
reflect and refract Canadians to themselves and to one another.

We are interested in issues of language and region, but also of history,
literature and culture. Papers might address a range of areas including
literature, poetry, linguistics, institutional studies, history, geography,
politics, economics, sociology, journalism, media studies, television, film,
popular culture, sports, visual arts, music, theatre, translation.

Please send a one-page (250 to 500 word) abstract, in French, English, or both,
                                by June 19, 1998
                        to one of the following addresses:

 English
Sarah King or Rachel Jones
English Department
The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, N6A 3K7
Telephone: (519) 661-3403
Fax:       (519) 661-3776
E-mail:    sarahk at julian.uwo.ca; rjones2 at julian.uwo.ca.

 French

Carlo Lavoie
Department of French
The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, N6A 3K7
Telephone: (519) 661-2163
Fax:       (519) 661-3470
E-mail:    clavoie at julian.uwo.ca

Carlo Lavoie
Département de français
The University of Western Ontario
London (Ontario) N6A 3K7
Tél.: (519) 661-2163          **              Télécopieur:        (519) 661-3470
                        Adel: clavoie at julian.uwo.ca