copyrights & electronic texts

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Wed Jun 3 00:48:18 EDT 1998

Hello all,

This little thread (of 4 messages) came from CANLIT-L regarding copyrights
and electronic copyrights.  Thought people on CANDRAMA might be equally
interested in it.

--- Kathy.

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:18:37 -0700
From: Will Garrett-Petts <PETTS at CARIBOO.BC.CA>
To: CANLIT-L at INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
Subject: Copyrights

I just received a form letter from the journal _Canadian
Literature_.  The letter indicates that CL would like to
make the contents of out-of-print back issues available
on the WWW & explains that making electronic versions
of CL articles available to university libraries is useful
to the scholarly community.

To accommodate the electronic dissemination, authors are
asked to transfer copyright retroactively (copyright for all
material in issues 1 - 155 is currently held by the authors).
The letter explains that, by assigning their rights to the
journal, CL will be able to "respond more efficiently to
reprinting requests."

Is this the face of things to come?  Are other journals asking
authors to (retroactively) sign over copyright for their work?
Should journals pay for these rights?  Or should any reprint
profits be distributed among the authors too?

I'd be interested in hearing from others on this issue.

Regards,  Will

+-----------------------------| _._._  ._ |-------------------------------+
| W.F. Garrett-Petts          | ._  ___________  English & Mod. Languages |
| petts at cariboo.bc.ca         |._  |  +  =  o  | 900 McGill Road          |
| fax 250/828-5086        __________________   | UCC,  Box 3010           |
| voice 250/828-5248     |                  |  : Kamloops, B.C. V2C 5N3
                \ /