Encyclopedia this week

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Mon Nov 9 18:55:23 EST 1998

Hello all

Well, I've decided to include any person who has made a significant
contribution to Canadian theatre, be they what is commonly refered to as
"artist" or "crafts person". I will now be accepting recommendations and
resumes for and from stage managers, technicians etc. The subject was
debated at length and with great vigour in Candrama but I guess the
argument that won me over was from Dorothy Hadfield which reminded me that
we can't allow theatre history, especially in this country, to be written
by and about a select few. Her argument appealed directly to my sense of
democracy, and most importantly, to my ideas of why The Encyclopedia exists
and how it can continue to grow.

Meanwhile, traffic at the site is huge, debates continue and I still am
searching for information on companies in the West like TheatreOne
(formerly the Nanaimo Festival Theatre), and Caravan Farm Theatre.

I'd also like to add Group of Seven artist Lawren Harris (who worked in and
designed for theatre) to the site and would much appreciate any info on his
theatrical activities.

On to the additions:

Profiles Added:

Fleury, Karen (Technician, stage manager)
Centre for Indigenous Theatre (Organization)
Best, Wayne (Actor)
Blendick, James (Actor)
Guerin, Maude (Actor)

Profiles Updated:
Aboriginal Theatre; Highway, T.; Calderisi, D.; Schellenberg, A.;
Thompson, P.; Taylor, DH;  Foster, N.; Bravos and Boos; Theatre Calgary;
Carlson, L.; "L'Auberge des morts subites"; "Motel Helene"

Gaetan Charlebois (editor; http://www.canadiantheatre.com)