Encyclopedia this week

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Nov 10 01:22:51 EST 1998

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Gaetan Charlebois wrote:

> I'd also like to add Group of Seven artist Lawren Harris (who worked in and
> designed for theatre) to the site and would much appreciate any info on his
> theatrical activities.

That's a great idea.  When I have time, I can try to dig something up but
if others have more free time, I'd look into the history of Hart House
Theatre and theatrical activities at the Arts and Letters Club (Toronto)
for info about any of the Group of Seven's stage work... and I think more
than Harris participated.

How far do you want to go with artists participating in performance work?
You might also like to know that Jack Shadbolt, at one time, did several
theatre posters for the Vancouver Playhouse.  There certainly must be more
artists who did likewise.

What about performance art?

P.S. re the discussion about artistic stage managers.... I am learning
that to stage manage an OPERA, you'd better have music training (know how
to read music at the minimum) and several languages would also be useful.

Cheers, --- Kathy.