National coverage

Edward Mullaly mullaly at UNB.CA
Thu Nov 12 12:28:43 EST 1998

Yes, indeed. While I do enjoy having Toronto there to visit, I must agree
that it is our most provincially-minded and artistically insulated area. But
I'm not sure how to bridge the moat................

At 10:53 AM 11/12/1998 -0600, Deborah A. Cottreau wrote:
>Gaetan et al,
>
>I never really understood how "Torontocentric" this country was until I
>moved further and further away from the so-called "centre".  If you feel
>this way in Montreal, Canada's second largest urban centre, imagine how
>they feel in St John's where they do some amazing, kick-ass work, or haow
>they feel here in Saskatchewan, which, generally speaking, is overlooked
>by the rest of Canada most of the time -- except, of course, when Lepage
>comes to co-direct...
>
>Deborah Cottreau
>
>On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Gaetan Charlebois wrote:
>
>> I don't know about the rest of you but after months of forcing myself to
>> slog through the Globe and Mail and just a couple of weeks of the National
>> Post, I've given up on any kind of national theatre coverage emerging from
>> Toronto (don't get me started on MacLeans). I think the final insult came
>> with the first Sat. edition of the Post not having a word about
>> theatre...anywhere. And if I open our soi-disant National Paper (G&M) one
>> more time to find JUST the theatre in Toronto covered, I'll join a
>> monastery.  Why aren't we, in the rest of the country, more yanked off
>> about this?
>>
>> Gaetan Charlebois

Edward Mullaly                Consensus is unnatural for us.
Department of English         We're an English Department.  Let's
University of New Brunswick,  act like one.
Fredericton, NB  E3B 5A3
CANADA  (506) 453-4676                    -- Russo, 'Straight Man'
   fax: (506) 453-5069