Oleanna

James Forsythe FORSYTHE at BRANDONU.CA
Fri Nov 13 11:53:57 EST 1998

Howard:

I did Oleanna here at Brandon University a few years ago.  I too, found the
phone calls extremely difficult to learn.
You may have already tried this but for what its worth:
Tie each unit of the call to specific blocking.  I was tied to a phone cord
but you can still use small movements of both you and Carol, eye contact,
changing hands etc.  It might even be easier with a cordless.
Make sure you have a full and specific image of your wife.  I used pictures
etc of my own life.
The director also allowed us time in rehearsal for the actress who played
Carol, Abigail Kitt-Macpherson, and I to improvise those calls with Abigail
playing my wife.
If it is any consolation I never ever got them all word perfect.
It was an interesting experience as I was at the time up for tenure here at BU.

On another topic.  The Faculty Association has just concluded, successfully,
a 3 day strike against the Administration.  I never thought walking could be
so painful.  I found picketing to be a very 'dramatic' experience.

Cheers,
Jim Forsythe