National coverage

Richard Plant rplant at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Sun Nov 15 15:13:31 EST 1998

Gaetan:

You have put your finger on a disturbing subject, which seems to me
connected also with the decreasing amount of attention given in Toronto
papers and various magazines to the live stage in any form or anywhere in
our country. Live theatre is becoming a niche market to newspapers,
including even the mega-musicals which are treated as something between
business and star syndrome fodder.

One of the questions I ponder is how much of the decision concerning what
to include in newspaper and magazine coverage is determined by the
audience (at least as revealed in the demographic sourcing of opinion done
by these organizations) or by the print editors leading the blind. Do we
get what is deemed to be what we deserve?

Richard Plant
Dept of Drama, Queen's University
and
Graduate Centre for Study of Drama,