Maybe not national...

Norman Armour rumble at DIRECT.CA
Wed Nov 18 12:22:38 EST 1998

Hello All,

While generating a lot of debate on the purpose and necessity of national
coverage, this discussion seems to agree on the fact that regional
representation cannot be left up to the "national" papers.  Guillermo is
right, those papers must "deliver an audience to their advertisers". Their
audience and our audience (ie, the theatre going public in each region) are
not necessarily the same anyway.

Stuart Scadron-Wattles suggests "looking to the specialty pubs to develop
local reporting" and Richard Plant and Frank Moher both suggest using the
internet to collect reviews and news from different regional theatre
communities.

Personally, I'm not ready to provide that service. But professionally, I am
ready to let you know what Rumble Productions is up to. Especially in
regards to providing profile for artists' work and perspecitives.

We publish a 'zine called "transmissions" about theatre, art and ideas
twice a year. It is intended as an opportunity to reach out to our members
and potential audience as well as to profile artists from the community.

In the past, we have had contributions from Aiyyana Maracle (1997 John
Hirsch Prizewinner), William Yang (Australian Photographer, creator and
performer of "Sadness" and "The North"), The Electric Company (just prior
to the production of their successful work "Brilliant!") as well as
transmedia artists Judy Radul (visual/performance artist and writer), Alex
Ferguson (AWOL Lovevibe) and Lizard Jones (Kiss and Tell Collective). Our
most recent issue has focused on the experience of emerging artists
(writers, performers, directors, musicians, dancers, etc.) in Vancouver.

"transmissions", up to this point, has been admittedly, and intentionally,
Vancouvercentric. We would like to develop our content to include artists
from different regions whose practice or vision are relevant in some way to
what we see (or wish to see) happening in Vancouver. So, while we slowly
expand the geographic circle of artists with whom we share a vision, we
offer access to our publication to those who are interested in an inside
perspective of the Vancouver arts community. We also welcome your letters
and email, and will probably write you back, something that can't be
guaranteed by the "national" press.

"transmissions" is part of our membership package. Buying a membership is
$5.00 and will provide two issues of "transmissions" mailed to you. If you
are interested in receiving it, please print out the membership form on our
website, www.rumble.org, or send us your name, address, phone number,
email, etc. with $5.00 to:

PO Box 544, Bentall Centre
Vancouver BC   V5C 4J5

I realize that "transmissions" is a small drop in the bucket as far as
national coverage goes, but I also believe that it holds potential as a
active way to stimulate dialogue about art practice across the country. I'd
like to invite you to help us to get there.

Adrienne Wong
transmissions at rumble.org

---------------------
Check out our website for upcoming events information and company background.
www.rumble.org

Norman Armour                  Artistic Producer

narmour at rumble.org

Chris Gerrard-Pinker    Artistic Associate
cgp at rumble.org

Adrienne Wong                  Administrative/Dramaturgical Assistant
awong at rumble.org

Ruth McIntosh                    Outreach Coordinator
rmcintosh at rumble.org

Brent Gibson                         CD Distribution
info at rumble.org

Linda Gorrie                         Business Manager
info at rumble.org

Laine Slater                           Publicist
info at rumble.org

Rumble Productions
PO Box 544, Bentall Ctre, Vancouver, BC   Canada  V6C 2N3
voice: 604.662.3395      fax: 604.662.4595