Student fees to support productions

Ric Knowles rknowles at UOGUELPH.CA
Thu Nov 19 09:43:07 EST 1998

Hi Gail,

I find the prospect of drawing on student council activity funds
dangerous: it relegates academic Drama programs to the level of
extracurricular activities--drama clubs--, which is where many
administrators and others see us anyway. I think it's important to fight
this. (I think the argument about "supporting the arts" is dangerous too:
use that one for asking the Student Councils to support visiting
productions, but not for supporting academic programs--do they give money
to "supporting the sciences"?). I suggest that you get the support of such
places as COUCTP (the Council of Ontario University and College Theatre
Programs) and the Professional Concerns Committee of the Association for
Canadian Theatre Research for help in arguing with your admistration
about this one. The former is chaired by Stephen Johnson at UofT (Erindale
and Drama Centre), the latter by Denis Salter (McGill). Both organizations
exist in part to support people in positions such as yours, and can give
information about how things are done elsewhere. It's important to all of
us that we resist setting the precedent of caving in to administrative
failures or refusals to understand that theatres and theatrical
productions are the laboratories of drama/theatre programs, as essential
to teaching and research in our field as scientific labs are to those on
"the other side of the campus."

I hope this helps, and best of luck in the meantime.

Cheers,

Ric