Info on Cantonese Opera article

Deborah Tihanyi deborah.tihanyi at UTORONTO.CA
Tue Nov 24 09:55:19 EST 1998

I'm sorry that Ric felt the need to jump to the conclusion that the
student was attempting to "pad" a bibliography.  As a Managing Editor
of TRIC/RTAC, I know that the article by Elizabeth L. Johnson on
Cantonese Opera was one of three articles (including one by Ric and
Jennifer Harvie) on the old TRIC web site (a site that is still
accessible on the web, even though it has been replaced by a much more
elaborate one in the past year).  There are no page numbers given for
the articles on that site, only the issue number and date.  Granted,
TRIC/RTAC is available in many libraries (even in the US), but perhaps
none to which this student has access.  Rather than condemning
him/her, perhaps we should be heartened to know that she cares to be
thorough enough in her research to credit a work fully.

Just a thought.

Deborah

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:50:52 -0500 Ric Knowles wrote:

> From: Ric Knowles <rknowles at UOGUELPH.CA>
> Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:50:52 -0500
> Subject: Re: Info on Cantonese Opera article
> To: CANDRAMA at hermes.csd.unb.ca
>
> I have trouble understanding why a student needs the page numbers
for an
> article, unless s/he is attempting to pad a bibliography with work
s/he
> hasn't seen. I'd rather not help on that enterprise.
>
> Ric
>
> On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Gaetan Charlebois wrote:
>
> > Hello all:
> >
> > Can anyone in this group help this young person? S/he can be
reached
> > directly at: KMAJKim at aol.com.
> >
> > >I ama middle school student at anderson Middle School in Berkley,
Michigan.  I
> > >am writing a paper on Canadian Theatre.
> > >I need the page numbers for an article from the magazine Theatre
Research in
> > >Canada, Volume 17, Spring, 1996, titled "Cantonese Opera In Its
Canadian