representations of cultural identity

Kathy Chung kchung at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Mon Oct 12 14:24:39 EDT 1998

Just a rambling thought/observation prompted by a discussion elsewhere:

Is anyone here also on CANLIT-L?  There was a string of discussion recently
on CANLIT-L about an American novelist who had lived in Canada for several
years and sets most of his novels in Canada and people wondered what it
means if he does this "well," if he portrays Canada "well."  One or two
people were uneasy with the thought that an American might be able to write
something about Canada which was indiscernable from that of a Canadian
author.  Then people got into a discussion of signs, clues re nationality;
then "Canadianisms," linguistic features, vocabulary, etc specific to
Canada and comparing Canadian and American words and sayings.

hmmmm... Funny how I never even think about this issue in terms of
theatre... can anyone imagine worrying about an American playwright writing
a play set in Canada??  has anyone come across such a concern? or such a play?

Does anyone know of a similar issue re national identity in terms of
theatre?  What about Canadian playwrights writing about another country or
another people?  Come to think of it: LePage on Japan and US and Europe,
Ryga and Ringwood and Hardin on the native peoples, Krizanc's _Prague_,
Hunter's France, Bolt's Emma Goldman ...

At least, re description of *place,* perhaps since theatre is usually
perceived as less "naturalistic," less "realistic," than fiction,
necessarily so due to the medium (unless you're doing environmental
theatre?), not many would consider it's description of place (though one is
prompted, by this comparison btw theatre and fiction, to wonder why readers
would evaluate fictional descriptions of place in terms of some degree of
verisimilitude...)

Well, I think I'm now getting thoroughly confused and off track; so will
get off.

Cheers, --- Kathy.