call for papers -- performance studies, ATHE 99

Lisa Wolford lwolfor at BGNET.BGSU.EDU
Sat Sep 5 13:01:09 EDT 1998

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

The Performance Studies Focus Group seeks proposals for performances,
installations, roundtable discussions, panels (and yes, even papers) for the
1999 ATHE conference, to be held in Toronto, Ontario, July 28-31.  There is
no set theme for the conference, and we welcome proposals on a wide variety
of topics in the areas of live art and performance (broadly defined).  In
the past, the Performance Studies Focus Group has sponsored conference
sessions in such areas as cultural performance, musicology, critical
pedagogy, performance and politics, ritual studies, queer and feminist
performance theory, and performativity in cyberspace.  For the 1999
conference, we are especially interested in expanding the range of
presentations to include greater attention to Canadian subject matter, as
well as proposals for sessions that interrogate concepts of nationhood or
examine the role of performance in constituting (and/or subverting) national
identities, among other topics.

We are particularly interested in receiving proposals for events that are
performative and dynamic. Our selection process will privilege abstracts
outlining sessions that employ innovative, interactive formats for
communicating knowledge -- performances, installations, roundtable
discussions, poster sessions, interactive tours, or presentations that
invite engagement and discussion of ideas presented in brief papers.

The deadline for receipt of proposals, either for complete sessions or
single projects, is November 1, 1999.  For submission forms and additional
information, please contact:

Lisa Wolford
Department of Theatre
322 South Hall