CANDRAMA and a Question

Glen Nichols nicholsg at UMONCTON.CA
Mon Sep 21 08:31:33 EDT 1998

Michael
I realize this is by no means a very thorough response to your
question, but one small corner of it. However, from the preliminary
results of a database I'm constructing which hopes to catalogue
theatre translations in Canada some interesting trends can be see.

 In terms of mutual influence between Quebec theatre and that of the
rest of Canada (read English-speaking) it is generally fairly minimal.
Translation of texts from outside Canada in both areas is far greater
than translation of text from within Canada.

On top of  that the balance between the two areas is far from even.
Translations of Quebec plays for the English Canadian market
outnumber, by a margin of at least 10 to 1, English Canadian plays
going into Quebec translations.

If you're interested in more specifics, I could take a look at my
database and pull some numbers, but they'd still be pretty raw in any
case. I also have material from a preliminary paper I gave 2 years ago
on a very limited experimental database.

Don't know if it helps much, but then I'm an academic and can't be
expected to have anything meaningful to contribute, right! Glen