Howard's Exit

Rick Sacks rixax at VEX.NET
Mon Sep 21 11:41:13 EDT 1998

Stuart wrote:
>        I have been on the Candrama list for two years now. My experience
>has been similar to yours, Howard. There has been little discussion of
>theatre, many calls for papers, the occasional call for research help on an
>obscure matter, and from time to time, outrage over administrative
>behaviour towards academics.
>        Not much to interest me.

What's of interest to me is the social fabric of the net and what 260
people with access to this list AND total uncensored control over its
content  to this group do with it.  Let's say that the Howards and Stuarts
out there posted even one half the number of email messages that the
drapery curators do. Then it becomes not a matter of academic postings but
one of a mix.  SO where's the gossip? Wanna talk about Bruce Macdonald?
What's in development inn Carlottetown?
        I know from previous years that people actively involved in the
'messier' side of theatre, the freelancers, the writers and stage managers
in small, large, children's theatre etc are on (or pass through) this list.
Perhaps, as is the case with Stuart they are "too busy producing and
staying afloat to do it myself".
        I've just returned from Banff where I did a presentation in a think
tank called Out of The Box. This was a collection of computer
users/programmers/artists/? who explored emergence of new cultural
phenomenon on the internet. There were a number of theatre people, dance,
animation, broadband video broadcast corporate types etc. , and academic
theorists.  The interchange ranged from eyeball rolling theories to light,
comic entertainment, display and storytelling. Each person there
participated. It took 4 days and now, HOLY SH*T, I've got a rehearsal in 20
minutes!  Still thinking about it, gestating, perhaps something will emerge
for mew from it.

So keep the goads and teases coming and announce all the papers you want.

If anyone is interested in the paper I gave, It contains references to a
MOO version of Kafka's Metamorphosis and attempts to bring computer as
metaphor to the stage, I will post ot on my website this eve in the theatre
section of Rik's Cafe.

Rick Sacks, proprietor of Rik's Cafe Canadian at:

http://www.vex.net/rikscafe