A toi pour toujours... in Cape Breton dialect

Alastair M. Wallis Jarvis ajarvis at IS2.DAL.CA
Mon Sep 28 23:53:28 EDT 1998

Shaun asked:

>I would like to know more about Jarvis's experience.
>Where the signs of Quebecness erased?  (In the Glasgow translation, the
>names remain French, which gives some curious transcultural echos).

The explicit references to places in Montreal were replaced with
references to Sydney, C.B. Perhaps I should note that the two
translator/adapters involved in the project were Margaret MacDonald and
playwright Michael Melski. Melski is becoming known for his plays
"exploring the darker side of Cape Breton life."

>Did the theatre-goers perceive the play as Quebecois or as Cape-Breton?

To some, the transition seemed awkward, that the situation was peculiarly
Quebecois - perhaps more as a function of the situation seeming dated
("I've never met any fanatical Catholics like that!"). Others found it
plausible and resonant. Still others found the translation allowed them
to experience the play as not being particular to any region.  Mixed
bag really.

>Does Jarvis beleive that these types of translations create a bridge, or
do we
>weave another *seperate* ;) reality?  Tell us more.

In grantspeak, one of the goals of this project is to create bridges and
lead audiences to an identification with of a common experience (After
all aren't we all just one happy family? :P ). Part of the development of
'indiginous' Atlantic Canadian voices certainly has to do with setting
ourselves apart from the rest of Canada and might lead to a reinforcement
of regionalism. But I think that regionalism is a reality of this
country and that the development of a theatre peculiar to this region not
only enriches the culture of the region, but enriches the culture of the
country as a whole. Because B.C. federalists may end up appropriating
Maritme culture in the same way it has been known to appropriate Quebecois
culture - haven't they already?

>I would also like to know just who these young Canadians are who are
>leaving the farm houses of Southern Ontario Gothic (for example) to
>explore non-realistic, Lepagian, Wilsonien types of stage work.

:)

Alastair