<no subject>

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Sat Aug 7 22:38:38 EDT 1999

Hello All

Nomination/letter of the week:
"Dear People, Who do you have to sleep with to get listed? No Jason Sherman?
Tom
Walmsley? What's happening?" I informed her that the "person" wouldn't mind
more information though I went ahead and scouted on my own anyway. BTW,
money is always preferred to sexual favours.

Also, Thea-Tricks has had one of its rare winners: Ron Chambers (who happens
to be an Encyclopedia profilee).

The Calendar buzzes along and the unexpected beneficial side-effect of all
this is that the site is getting a wider exposure among theatres and theatre
people. Which means I am getting more mail for new profiles, updates, etc.
Meanwhile, a paper West of Toronto finally covered the site; Edmonton's
weekly Intervue. "It¹s a mammoth, constantly updated resource that is well
on its way to becoming the definitive reference 'book' for contemporary
Canadian theater, both English and French. The site invites visitors to
submit reviews of local productions and to nominate people, works or
institutions that merit inclusion--right now, it seems a little skimpy when
it comes to Edmonton playwrights and performers, so perhaps we should get to
work and remedy that." This is the kind of thing I like to read (despite the
back-handed compliment) because it gets people moving. The Calendar mailing
has also encouraged the theatres to check their own profiles in The
Encyclopedia and so far the reaction has been quite positive with only a
couple indicating that there were some errors (and these not glaring). So
even if the Calendar itself doesn't work (and with 55 productions registered
after only two weeks this doesn't seem to be the case) the positives
certainly outweight the negatives.

I am a little miffed by the publicists who insist on sending me press
releases expecting me to go through the information (which is never complete
enough for the Calendar; ie: no dark nights indicated) and want me to do the
work instead of taking the 2-3 minutes per production to send the
information according to the guidelines. Three companies in the West and one
in Toronto did this and when I suggested they read the guidelines they were
never heard from again. I guess in August PR people have all that sweating
to catch up on. (This is an ironic/provocative comment meant to be like a
Bond martini: to shake not stir.) For the record: press releases are gleaned
for information useful to the Encyclopedia but never get anywhere near the
Calendar file. I wonder if there is a way to simplify: "...you must follow
the guidelines..."

Meanwhile, don't forget Heavenly Voices for your regional news, job postings
or audition calls. (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/heavenlyvoices.html)

And announce your show!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/calendarguidlines.html) If you want
to see what a typical region's and month's line-up can look like go to
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/atse99.html)

New Profiles:
Walmsley, Tom (Playwright) (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/w/walmsleyt.html)
"Colours in the Storm" (Play, Jim Betts)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/c/coloursinthestorm.html)
Sherman, Jason (Playwright) (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/s/shermanj.html)
Prinsloo, Ian (Director) (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/p/prinslooi.html)

Updates:
Thea-Tricks; Reviews; Calendar (16 productions added); Calendar Guidelines;
Bravos and Boos; Marien, R.; Fox. MJ; Goulet, R.; Belke, D.; Alberta; Lane,
W.; Necessary Angel; Guinand, L.; Betts, J.; Musical Theatre; Theatre
Aquarius; "Voyage magnifique d'Emily Carr"; Shaw Festival; Theatre Calgary

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com or
http://cantheatre.canoe.ca
If you want to join the Encyclopedia's mailing list (and get information
before anyone else as well as the Monday Hint for the Thea-Tricks Doozey),
simply send an e-mail to blajeune at total.net with the subject heading
"Mailing list"; if you wish to be removed from this mailing list, simply