Northwest Passages news

Paul Martin Paul.Martin at UALBERTA.CA
Sat Feb 6 20:49:45 EST 1999

Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to fill you in on some of the latest news from Northwest
Passages (apologies for cross-posting) :

1) NWP feature on CBC's Infoculture website!

In case anyone is interested in learning more about Northwest Passages'
Canadian literature website/virtual bookstore and how it all began follow
this link to the Infoculture website of the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting
Corporation):
http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/bookswr/bookswr_01271999_passages.html  T
here you will find an article on NWP and a longer RealAudio interview with
Rob and me (it's about 25 minutes long, so I suggest getting a snack before
listening).

2) New URL!

The URL for Northwest Passages is now officially www.nwpassages.com

We've learned there is another company from the US who has the same name as
we do, but hopefully there will not be too much confusion.  Apparently,
they offer adventure tours.  We learned this when the executive editor of
some business magazine in NYC called our 1-800 number with an urgent
message to call her back.  Excited that this might be our big break for
publicity down south, I called her back the next day only to learn that she
wanted information about our trips to the North Pole!  To no avail, I tried
instead to offer her some literature from the Great White North.

3) New webboard conference

We've added a conference on "Small press news and reviews" to our webboard.
Drop by to post or read messages about what's happening on the small press
scene in Canada.

4) CFP (Call for Profiles)

We're always looking for people to write profiles of Canadian authors or
books for our author and title features.  This is an excellent opportunity
for grad students who have not published much yet  We are currently getting
about 50 000 hits per month, so your work will be seen by a lot of people.
Unfortunately, we're not in a position (yet) to pay people for their
contributions, but we will offer you a good discount on any books you'd
like to order.

Cheers to all,

        Paul Martin
        (beleagured grad student and co-proprietor of Northwest Passages)

Paul Martin, PhD candidate
Department of Comparative Literature, Religion, and Film/Media Studies
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2E6
CANADA
Paul.Martin at ualberta.ca

THIS MONTH AT NORTHWEST PASSAGES (http://www.nwpassages.com), recently
named one of the ten "Best of the Web 1998" by CBC's Infoculture web site:
Our feature author is Austin Clarke and our feature title is What the Crow
Said by Robert Kroetsch.  Visit the "Books and Writers" section at the CBC
Infoculture website
(http://www.infoculture.cbc.ca/archives/bookswr/bookswr_01271999_passages.html)
for a feature and RealAudio interview with Rob & Paul of NWP!

NEW AT POLDY.COM, the all Ulysses bookstore (http://www.poldy.com): We now
have copies in stock of the fantastic Orchises Press facsimile of the first
edition of Ulysses.  This gorgeous book, a replica of copy #784, is full
size, hardbound, sewn, and printed on 50 lb. Ph balanced paper.  A must
have for all Joyceans!