Encyclopedia; Feb 28

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Sun Feb 28 19:51:47 EST 1999

Hello all

We passed the 10,000 hit mark and, I didn't think we could do it, but
February's traffic beat the previous record set in January, 99 (2521 in
Jan, 2789 in Feb with a few hours to go).  (And that's with 3 days less in
the month and with no article appearing in a major daily as with the
Citizen article in January.)  I am generally delighted.

This week saw me doing another major e-mailing to the press. This is one
hard nut to crack, let me tell you. There are at least three papers where I
am getting the go-elsewhere-shuffle. The theatre critic fumbles me over to
the web page writer and he fumbles me back to the theatre person. Makes the
people in theatre who know about the web look like visionaries!

I don't know how the Martin budget will affect things but the last time I
looked, about five different departments who could help me out were waiting
for funds and said they would all call me if they got the dough. No calls
yet. And Apple Canada turned me down this week as their sales strategy only
covers print and TV for this quarter...Next quarter, maybe... (I can't
wait, can you?!) That's okay because I have the great good luck, at 41, to
lose an aging relative each winter and it's this kind of money that is
keeping the site going. For some of you who have asked, my day job is as
theatre critic/editor for Hour Magazine in Montreal and that keeps the
dalmatian in kibble (with a little left over for my kibble too).

If all this sounds a little cavalier it is is because I am in a very good
mood each and every time I approach this work because I get help from
everywhere. A highschool kid contacted me as he did his Sunday night
homework to tell me I was off by a year on a date of death. This happens
when you're working with three sources all of whom disagree on such
details. But the student's information, after a search on the web, was
correct. The student reminded me that I have a search-the-net gadget on my
computer (which searches informational sites from your own desktop in
seconds). Hate to brag but I love my iMac.

Got a ton of great mail to my query about what was to be done with all this
info if I got hit by a car. Thanks all (though it makes me a little
concerned that all the ideas were so good...like you'd been thinking of
this already...like something was being planned...ah! the phobias of a
theatre critic).

One more thing for those of you who are considering nominating yourself for
a profile: you need not worry that I am going to put your name as
contributor in the bio; that's between me and the profilee.

Finally, don't forget Heavenly Voices and Program! for bringing attention
to theatre around you.

New Profiles:
Crest Theatre (Company, Venue)
Conolly, LW (Theatre scholar)

New Features:
Thea-Tricks, a weekly Canadian theatre brain teaser with one "Doozey"
question with prizes (free ad-space on the site). The idea here is to make
surfing around in the site a fun experience for theatrephiles of all ages.
The new questions and the list of winners will appear on Friday.

Updates:
Atlantic Theatre Festival (saved...); Documents of Interest (Fanny Kemble
writes of her tour to Canada; Charles Dickens describes Montreal theatre;
Edmund Kean among the Hurons/illustration); Sources; Heavenly Voices;
Reviews; Aboriginal Theatre; "Le Theatre Neptune en la Nouvelle France";
Learning, W.; History; Nova Scotia; New Brunswick; Theatre Royal;
Heavysege, C.; Mair, C.; Manitoba; British Columbia; Radio Drama; Fennario,
D.; Hall, A.; King, C.; Morse, B.; Davies, R.; Henry, M.; Ontario;
Brind'Amour, Y.; Mulgrave Road Theatre; Mirvish, D.;  Dykstra, T.; McAnuff,
D.; Charlottetown Festival; Prince Edward Island; Marien, R.; Palomino, M.;
Besre, J.; Hidalgo, C.; Theatre Royal; History; Quebec; Bravos and Boos.

Cheers.

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com
Subscribe to the free Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the WWW bulletin
(and hear about new features before anyone else) by sending an e-mail to:
canadiantheatre-subscribe at listbot.com