Canadian Playwights on Identity, Nationalism, Separatism & so on

Geraldo Ferreira de Lima gdelim at PO-BOX.MCGILL.CA
Sun Feb 28 11:34:26 EST 1999

Hello

As a brazilian PhD student I am highly interested to contact people dealing
with identity, nationalism, separatism, and any other item correlated to
these categories (or any other one thinks relevant to be added to these
ones) related to the construction of Canadian Drama written in English.

Does anyone, e. g., have any idea about the first Canadian(or not)
playwright(s) (and in what Play/Plays) to approach the problem? Who are the
playrights whose Plays are most centered in (one of) these items? And, in
terms of CRITICISM related to them, any suggestion of Authors and Titles
of their works?

I am living in Montreal where, probably, I'll stay until next September.
Does anybody have any idea about the best Libraries and Bookstores around
this area where books on these subjects could be found? In fact, is Montreal
an appropriate place for such a kind of research?

By the way, I'm interested in plays written in English not only by
Anglophones playwrights but Francophone ones (if there are) writing in
English (if it is not a heresy!) as well.

Thanks a lot,

Geraldo Ferreira de Lima
McGill University
Montreal