Hockey star reneges on charitable donation

Richard Plant rplant at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Fri Jan 22 08:44:33 EST 1999

Hello Alistair Jarvis, et al:

SOme people in the artistic and scholarly community even sent letters to M
Yashin applauding his generosity and, optimistically, some people in the
community even thought that this gift was a sign (from the gods?) that the
sporting community had among it a sense of the importance of the arts in
life. And that there might even be an amount of money left over in the
tight financial budgets of the athletes, which could be passed on to
artists. And maybe there was some sense of a social responsibility amid
the gathering of great financial resources, which is the burden of a
rather full pocketbook among sporting folk.

I find it hard to know quite what to think at the moment. I am such a
cynical fellow I might be tempted to see a bit of a darker side in all
this. Myabe I should call Don Cherry for some advice.

Richard Plant
Dept of Drama, Queen's University
and
Graduate Centre for Study of Drama,