20TH C. Anthologies

Melanie Stevenson mstevens at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Fri Jun 25 10:09:50 EDT 1999

Dear list members,

I'm putting together a third-year, full year, undergraduate, modern
dramatic literature course for an English department for next year and I
would appreciate the benefit of your experiences in finding appropriate,
affordable texts.

Because the cost to students of buying 20-odd plays in individual
editions is prohibitive, I've been trying to find a good modern
drama anthology that could form the base of the course (supplementing it,
of course, with a few, less-often anthologized texts). I've found some
useful _general_ drama anthologies that I've used to teach drama surveys
(Greeks to Churchill type things), but so far I've been unable to
find a really good anthology focusing on modern drama. The closest I've
come are _Six Great Modern Plays_ and the more comprehensive _Drama in the
Modern World_. Unfortunately, this latter anthology duplicates most of the
plays taught last year in the latter half of the second-year introductory
drama course, a prereq for the modern drama course.

Can anyone on the list recommend a good modern drama anthology? Does such
a beast exist? If it doesn't, does anyone have any other suggestions for
keeping the booklist affordable, etc.?

Many thanks,

Melanie Stevenson

Dr. M. Stevenson