Reguest info on Canadian drama/dramatists

Guillermo L. Verdecchia glv at INTERLOG.COM
Tue Mar 2 23:55:44 EST 1999

Bill,

You must be kidding. A simple search on Yahoo or Altavista should turn up
more sites than you can shake a stick at. How can you be "studying modern
drama at UWO" and not know where to begin looking for information on
Canadian drama? Canadian drama isn't MODERN?

What is it that you're looking for exactly? What about Canadian drama? It's
a pretty broad topic. Are you simply looking for plays? Have you tried the
LIBRARY at UWO? Surely they have some plays of ours there.

Here are the names of contemporary Canadian playwrights that come
immediately to mind: Sharon Pollock, Joan Macleod, Robert Lepage, Pol
Pelletier, Judith Thompson, Tomson Highway, Michel Tremblay, Frank Moher,
Ken Garnhum, Wendy Lill, Sally Clark, Ann-Marie MacDonald, David Fennario,
Drew Hayden Taylor, Blake Brooker, John Mighton, Daniel MacIvor, Jason
Sherman, Linda Griffiths, Morris Panych.

As for resources, there have been MANY BOOKS published on many aspects of
theatre in Canada, again a LIBRARY is a good place to begin looking for
these; there are also magazines including Canadian Theatre Review and
Theatrum; there are even THEATRES, and organizations including, but not
limited to: Playwrights Union of Canada, Professional Association of
Canadian Theatre, Candian Actors Equity,  Association for Canadian Theatre
Research, and SQET.

There is an ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CANADIAN THEATRE on the web.

Hey, what about newspapers? From time to time, "reviews" appear in
newspapers, These "reviews" will often mention the names of plays,
playwrights, theatres, directors, actors, designers and other
theatre-makers. Why not call the Grand Theatre RIGHT THERE in LONDON (sorry,
don't have the phone number handy) and ask them for some information on
their season? They might be producing a Canadian play or two.

I hope this gets you started.

Guillermo (knickers in a twist) Verdecchia

>Hi:  My name is Bill Lewis and I really, really, really need some
assistance.  I am studying modern drama at The University of Western
Ontario, at London.  I am in research stage of an essay -- topic...Canadian
Drama.  I have to study 2 plays each by a different playwright.  Plays must
be written by Canadian dramatists.  Anyway, I'm having an awful time finding
ANYTHING on Cdn drama.  I know it matured much later than British, American,
etc. drama, yet surely there must be a resource somewhere.  Can anyone there
simply point me in the right direction.  I'm quite frustrated.  Thanks in
advance to anyway who has any knowledge of Cdn drama, willing to pass it on.