Dorothy Somerset, Bullock-Webster

Alex Hawkins jhawkins at GPU.SRV.UALBERTA.CA
Tue Mar 16 13:53:53 EST 1999

Dear Moira,
        I don't have exactly the information you're looking for, but I do
have something that you (and others on CANDRAMA) may be interested in:
it's a photograph of the D.D.F. Executive Committee, meeting at the
Palliser Hotel in Calgary during the 1950 DDF national competition, on May
9, 1950.
        It is a group photograph, with the following people arrayed around
a large table in one of the function rooms of what was then the most
luxurious hotel in the city:  J. Phelps, Betty Mitchell, Pauline McGibbon,
D. Park Jamieson, Dr. H. Skinner, Major Brown, Father Emile Legault,
Dorothy Somerset, Robertson Davies, Gwillym Edwards, Mrs. White, Roy
Stewart, William Reid, Dick Macdonald, and Jessie Richardson.  The reason
that I am so fond of this photograph is that not only does it show all
these people together in one place, but also, many of them are at the most
robust time of their lives, pictured at a time when the D.D.F. itself was
entering the period of its greatest national influence.
        The original of this photograph is in the Glenbow Museum Archives
in Calgary, in the Betty Mitchell Collection:  M852, volume 8.  I don't
know who took it.
        If you or anyone with CANDRAMA wishes to take a look at the
photograph, I would be willing to share it via fax on request.

Best wishes,
Alex Hawkins
Phone:  (780) 492-8714
E-mail: jhawkins at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca