RESEARCH at the Theatre Centre

Brian Quirt bquirt at INTERLOG.COM
Tue Mar 16 21:44:15 EST 1999

RESEARCH at the THEATRE CENTRE - TORONTO, ONTARIO

THE THEATRE CENTRE SEEKS SUBMISSIONS TO ITS RESEARCH PROGRAM . . . .

The Theatre Centre is dedicated to expanding the boundaries of performance.
We focus on multi-disciplinary work which includes text. Each year many new
shows are developed through our programs. In 1998, we established a new
program devoted entirely to Reseach.

Reseach is a theatrical experiment which is not linked to a particular
project. In the spirit of inquiry, we want to assist artists to discover
what they need to further their work, without the pressures of development
or production.

There are few places in Canada where in-depth theatrical research can be
explored without
the pressures of developing and/or performing a new work. The Theatre
Centre provides space, money and resources to up to five artists who are
pursuing pure research into a provocative theatrical question.

What does that mean? It means that if you want to explore the theatrical
implications of silence, or how the techniques of shiatsu could be applied
to a rehearsal process, or the application of live DJ-ed music, or how to
stage 19th century marxist texts (to give examples from our 1998 Research
projects), and can articulate why that exploration is important to you, we
might give you our space and some money to conduct your research.

If you have a theatrical question, and can pose it in terms of a theatrical
experiment, then we're interested. We will supply the use of the Theatre
Centre space, sound and lighting equipment for up to three days, plus a
small budget.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: contact the Theatre Centre at <crayon at interlog.com>.

THE DETAILS:

*  Submission Deadline: April 5, 1999

*  Research projects will be scheduled during August 1999;
 please indicate your availability between August 2 and  September 3.

We need a concise but detailed proposal outlining:

        1)  your question: what you want to learn?;
        2)  how you intend to conduct the experiment;
        3)  practical details such as time required, people, equipment,
estimated budget
                and any relevant support material such as scripts or research.

What we are interested in:

        -  exploring poetic or stylized use of text in any form or genre.
        -  integration of sound, music, movement and text.
        -  artists who can clearly articulate their needs, who can gather
their own creative
                        team, who are conducting a specific exploration.
        -  artists who view research and development as a long-term
process, rather than
                        simply as a short cut to production.
        -  in every application, we are looking for a sense of the artistic
spirit of inquiry.
                        We want you to tell us what you don't know and how
you might be able to answer your
                        questions through working at the Theatre Centre.

What to send us:

        -  a cover letter introducing you and defining the application:
preferred dates,
                        amount of time requested, budget, specific goals.
        -  a project description of no more than 2 pages, maximum.
        -  include list of collaborators, if known.
        -  c.v. of principal artist.
        -  videos: only to introduce physical artists to us. Please provide
a brief
                        explanation of where and when the video was shot.
        -  do not send press clippings, photos, programmes, press kits or
folders.

Also:
        -  please invite us to see your work: that's always the best way for
                        us to meet you and your ideas.

        -  be honest about what you know, what you don't know, what you
want, what you would like to
                achieve.

        -  feel free to call for information about our selections after
April 30.

        -  Provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you want your
material returned.

        -  we will meet with those whose submissions intrigue us, before
making our final
                decisions.

        -  all applicants will be informed by mail in May 1999.

Applications due April 5, 1999, and may be submitted by post, fax or email.

PLEASE SEND QUERIES TO

THE THEATRE CENTRE
<crayon at interlog.com>
1032 Queen Street West