Theatre Research in Ontario (fwd)

Robert Nunn rnunn at SPARTAN.AC.BROCKU.CA
Sat May 1 00:29:50 EDT 1999

I'm forwarding this query from an American theatre scholar.

Robert Nunn
Theatre and Dramatic Literature Programme
Brock University
St. Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
Tel. (905) 688-5550 ex 3213
Fax. (905) 688-2789
email: rnunn at spartan.ac.BrockU.ca

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:34:21 -0700
From: Su Jacobsen <sujac at pipeline.com>
To: rnunn at spartan.ac.brocku.ca
Subject: Theatre Research in Ontario

Dear Mr. Nunn,
        I am researching the Theatrical Syndicate in America from its roots
to dissolution, and the lives of Marc Klaw and Abraham Erlanger
specifically.  This research has presented some questions concerning their
activities in Canada.  Much is known about there later theatre ownership and
management in the Atlantic provinces, but there is much to learn about their
first dealings with Canadian theatre.  In fact, Abraham Erlanger claimed to
have married actress Louise Balfe (Adelaide Hardcastle) in Ottawa 4 Jul 1891.
        As an expert on Canadian theatrical history, I hope that you may be
able to direct me to research sources for this subject.  At this point, I
would like to learn what touring productions were in Ottawa in July of 1891
for the obvious reason; perhaps Louise Balfe was performing in one of these
productions.  In addition, I would like to discover the first presence of
Klaw and Erlanger in Canada.
        Any suggestions that you may offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time and effort in this matter.

Most Sincerely,
Su Jacobsen
Lafayette, CA
U.S.A.