Community theatres

Megan Mooney mooneym at UOGUELPH.CA
Wed May 5 12:50:09 EDT 1999

> I see Canadian (capital T) theatre as contructed, supported,
> and  marketed by the Academy.  Here in Guelph the "little theatre" is
> the only  place where the community as a whole can get together and
> share in theatre, (but of course they are doing the ODD COUPLE every
> season you know, and that is hardly Canadian).

This may not seem applicable to the whole list, but I think it is.  Chris
brought up the ever famous little theatres.  I think that it is intesting
that the perception is that GLT is the only place here in Guelph that the
community as a whole can access theatre.  I would argue that there is no
such thing as community as a whole accessing theatre (totally different
long blathering session), but that aside, I'm not sure GLT comes very
close.

There are other theatre venues in town, certainly the university gets used
a lot in presenting theatre, mostly by students, but not always.  Often
other productions are brought in.  Even at GLT they rent they're space out
occasonaly to other companies.  GLT is the only theatre actively
attempting to involve people in the production on theatre, but in terms of
a community sharing in theatre, it is sorely lacking, many of the shows
performed there just do not interest me, and therefore do not involve me.

I use to participate in GLT and I remember once asking why it was that we
only presented pablum (I probably said something nicer than that, but that
was the idea) and the answer was that the main income of the theatre came
from Senior citizens, so we played what they wanted to see.  Fair enough
really.  It all comes down to business in the end.  However, that doesn't
make it inclusive for the community.

I have actually had this argument a couple of times in the past, I believe
that there is room for more theatre in Guelph.  However, someone has to be
willing to take the time and effort to make it happen.  Part of why
theatre other than "little theatre" has not seemed accessible is because
GLT is the only theatre that advertizes itself in a way that makes it
accessible.  I'm all for the art of theatre, but if you're going to keep
your art alive, you have to think about the business too.  As mundane as
it is advertising is key, and missing in many small productions which
happen in Guelph.

I wonder if this is the case in other small cities.  I imagine it is.

cheers,
meg