The Top Ten List of the Mind

Guillermo L. Verdecchia glv at INTERLOG.COM
Thu May 6 12:48:43 EDT 1999

Chris,

What exactly do you mean when you write:
>I see Canadian (capital T) theatre as contructed, supported, and marketed by
>the Academy.

You're not suggesting that The Academy has some kind of stranglehold on
theatre in Canada are you? The Academy certainly has its role to play (as
'twere) but there are many aspects of theatre-making and practice in Canada
(such as programming at most not for profit and all commercial theatres)
that are completely untouched by the interests, passions, ideas, ideals,
whims, and fashions of The Academy.

What is capital T theatre?

As for the Governor General's Award that is also, as far as I know,
relatively "uncontaminated" by The Academy. Publishers submit titles for the
award, and a jury composed of "theatre professionals" (some of whom I grant
you may have had some contact with The Academy) decide on the "winner." The
jury composition is determined by a number of factors, but the folk at the
Canada Council who organize the affair are not unaware of issues such as
gender, racial, and regional representation. It isn't a perfect system; I
wonder what sort of "input" you have in mind, and what mechanism(s) would
arrange and facilitate that input.

Guillermo Verdecchia

>I would like to thank Gaetan for offering non-academics the chance to offer
the >reactions to plays they might have seen and share their opinions and I
hope some day >the Governors General's Award will be open to the same kind
of input.