The Top Ten List of the Mind

Chris Noseworthy cnosewor at UOGUELPH.CA
Wed May 5 16:18:22 EDT 1999

I recently watched the Hollywood Blockbuster _Armageddon_. I must say I had a great time I laughed and ...laughed some more. It was one of the funnest (yeah I know not a word right) experiences I ever had watching a movie. Granted it was also a racist piece of tripe (no offense intended toward perfectly good tripe.)

It seems unlikely that the university will ever ope its syllabus to the fanciful whims of the students or the Janitorial Staff, after all we can be liberal in our text selections, but there are many "important" works to be covered. Rather, could I replace that covered with "marketed".  Sorry that is rather crude, but I mean it.  The entire project of not canonizing has opened the flood gates. What I mean is that writers now delve deeper and deeper and dredge up more and more obscure playtexts upon which to perform the sacred rite of dissertatia.  I am sure that you could call this history but I am more concerned with the practical effect of how much distance this creates between the writer , The work and the community / targeted demographic. (Demographics are interesting. what is the targeted demographic for Canadian theatre? Who would actually say "Yes! Those are the TEN best plays!) In practiced dissertatia, scholars create for themselves and area of expertise and personal marketability. An added bonus is that you remove yourself from the avenue of widespread criticism.
(if you don't agree that's OK)

Granted TEN BEST LISTS do seem a little lame and the do "tend to
reinforce dominant formations, most of which I don't like, and most of
which are dominated by the kind of American-style corporatism and
xenophobia that turns (some of) us Canadians cultural nationalists."

However,  I would take issue with any implication that diminishes the fact that Canada is already fully implicated in that lifestyle or that we are not totally xenophobic already especially where it concerns Americans.  I see Canadian (capital T) theatre as contructed, supported, and marketed by the Academy.  Here in Guelph the "little theatre" is the only place where the community as a whole can get together and share in theatre, (but of course they are doing the ODD COUPLE every season you know, and that is hardly Canadian).

I would like to thank Gaetan for offering non-academics the chance to offer the reactions to plays they might have seen and share their opinions and I hope some day the Governors General's Award will be open to the same kind of input.
Why is it that Academics have to deny their position of 'quality assessment' and yet affirm it and naturalize it all at the same time? Of course we can't open the governors awards to public nomination then Norm Foster might win.  By denying the public right to speak (the only one they may have) you are in essence prioritizing you own right to do so. Then what ever you say will carry more authority because we all can read it against the background of your reticence and desires for a NON-CANON.

Chris Noseworthy