It's Just a List

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Fri May 7 16:06:25 EDT 1999

Forgive me going waaaaay off topic for a moment.

This may be where I differ from many of you. I have read six or so of
Oprah's books, and I very much liked them. (She's Come Undone, Angela's
Ashes, Beloved and Black and Blue still stick in my head).

And, one of the reasons I do read something on a best-seller list from time
to time is because I very much want to be (particularly as a journalist) on
top of what people are thinking, reading, talking about and...dreaming. When
I writer a review, I use these touchstones to communicate with my readers.

This is not to say I dive into mass culture; but I certainly don't shy away
from it.

Gaetan

----------
>From: Eric Woolfe <ewoolfe at CMRRA.CA>
>To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
>Subject: Re: It's Just a List
>Date: Fri, May 7, 1999, 3:27 PM
>

> Dear Denis,
> Other than calling me condescending, I'm not sure where we disagree?
> I too steer away from Oprah's Picks when I'm browsing through a bookstore. So
> what? I agree that individual tastes and aesthetic choices are based on many
> diverse factors. Who said otherwise?
> All I'm saying is that the public at large is unaware of it's national
theatre.
> I agree that something is not necessarily good because it is Canadian.
However,