Themes in CANDRAMA 2

Geraldo Ferreira de Lima gdelim at PO-BOX.MCGILL.CA
Sat May 29 11:22:34 EDT 1999

Hello all:

Sorry for sending you this message for the second time. The first one I
sent, unfortunately, I forgot to say what I was  sending it for: I'm doing a
research on the building up of Anglophone Canadian identity by means of
Drama...

Now, at the end of the term, probably you have lots of work to do. Anyway,
if you have any spare time, I'd enjoy a lot if you could relate the THEME(S)
IN CAN(ADIAN)DRAMA in the column on the left to one or more Canadian
PLAYWRIGHT(S) in the column of the centre (The more playwrights' names
suggested the better) whose  PLAY(S) in the column on the right
discusses/discuss one or more of these themes. Besides this, any other Theme
and its corresponding Playwright and Play you think it is relevant do be
added, please, feel at ease to do it.

Thanks,
Geraldo Ferreira de Lima
Montreal

THEME(S) IN             PLAYWRIGHT            PLAY(S)
CANDRAMA

Separatism:             William Weintraub       Underdogs
                             Arthur Milner             It's Not A Country,
It's Winter
                             Andy Woodie             Yes

Homesexualism:        Daniel MacIvor           Yes I Am and Who Are You?
(Gay & Lesbian)        Audrey Butler             Ten Ruminations on an Elegy
                             Michel Marc Bouchard  L'Histoire de l'oie
                             Brad Fraser                Poor Superman
                             David Gobeil Taylor
                             Linda Chen
                             Steve Galluccio
                             Sky Gilbert

Feminism:                Audrey Butler
                             Jovette Marchessault
                             Gloria Montero              Frida K.

Violence:                 Marie-Claire Blais          The Execution.

Working Class:          David Fennario             Balconville
                             Michel Tremblay

Language (Joual):      David Fennario             Balconville
                              Gratien Gélinas
                              Michael Cook
                              Michel Tremblay
                              CODCO

Identity:                  Guillermo Verdecchia      Fronteras Americanas

Racism:

Immigrant:

Aboriginal:                Tomson Highway          Dry Lips Oughta Move to
                                                              Kapuskasing

Black:                      Andrew Moodie's           Riot
                              Athol Fugard                My Children! My
Africa!
                              Dennis Foon                 New Canadian Kid

Nationalism:

Religion:

Folklore:

Yidish: