Encyclopedia News; Sept 12

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Sun Sep 12 23:33:55 EDT 1999

Hello All

Hey! I'm looking for a volunteer who can be my eyes and ears in Vancouver
and keep me posted about what's going on there and browbeat the theatres for
not participating in aspects of this project (like the Calendar, Heavenly
Voices, or submitting the company for inclusion in The Encyclopedia of
Canadian Theatre on the WWW...I know Pink Ink exists but try to get info
from them). Any takers?

Slow week at the Encyclopedia, as I was up to my ears in Montreal English
Critics Circle business (see Heavenly Voices for our awards).

News from Saskatchewan; re: Calendar: ********. However, a company in
Newfoundland sent me their dates for next August! I sent out the following,
very simple, e-mail to the companies: "Today, Friday, September 10, 1999,
Stats Can announced that over 11,000,000 Canadians used the Internet in 1998
(up 2,000,000 from 1997). This seems to make sense. Of the 110 theatre
companies who will read this message, 40 have already registered over 100 of
their productions at The National Theatre Calendar and Registry (NATHCARE),
a free service at canadiantheatre.com, a site visited by thousands of
theatrephiles each month. Are you one of the 11,000,000, or one of the ones
waiting for the phone to ring?" It worked quite well. Three new companies
registered within 12 hours. From Saskatchewan? Nooooo.

Meanwhile, don't forget Heavenly Voices for your regional news, job postings
or audition calls. (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/heavenlyvoices.html)

And announce your show!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/calendarguidlines.html) If you want
to see what a typical region's and month's line-up can look like go to
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/atse99.html)

New Profiles:
Leiren-Young, Mark (Playwright)
SummerWorks (Festival)

Updates:
Thea-Tricks; Reviews; Sources; Calendar (12 productions added); Heavenly
Voices; Walmsley, T.; Regent Theatre; Burkett, R.; Sherman, J.; Archambault,
F.; Danis, D.; Rumble Productions; Vancouver Playhouse; "Encore une fois, si
vous le permettez/For the Pleasure of Seeing Her Again"; Cavendish, N.;
Centaur Theatre;  Christodoulou, S.; Other Theatre; Francis, D.; Sharp, E.;
Batakliev, P.; Varma, R.; Livent; Espace Go; Coulter, J.; Belke, D.;
Thiessen, V.; La Poudriere; Theatre du Nouveau Monde; Mouawad, W.;
Plamondon, L.; British Columbia; Festivals; Radio Drama; Ontario

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com or
http://cantheatre.canoe.ca
If you want to join the Encyclopedia's mailing list (and get information
before anyone else as well as the Monday Hint for the Thea-Tricks Doozey),
simply send an e-mail to blajeune at total.net with the subject heading
"Mailing list"; if you wish to be removed from this mailing list, simply