Oxford Encyclopedia of Performance

Ric Knowles rknowles at UOGUELPH.CA
Mon Sep 13 10:45:55 EDT 1999

Dear Researchers & ACTR Members:

Dennis Kennedy has contacted me for input and help with the Canadian
Entries for the Oxford Encyclopedia of Performance, and I thought I would
post what he is proposing on the list so that the whole community could
comment, make suggestions, etc. I'll compile & edit what suggestions I
receive, and get back to him with them on our behalf. He asked me to
remind you that this is a large international project and that it won't be
possible to get the degree of "coverage" that experts in any of the areas
might like.

Dennis has sent me a Headword list Sorted by Topic Category with proposed
word count, and a space to suggest contributors' names. Please give
feedback on omissions, on suggested entries, on relative importance as
indicated by the word count, and on suggested contributors--again, keeping
in mind that it won't help to suggest adding exhorbitant amounts of
material: he is willing, I think, to think of the list as short, but not
as short as we probably think it is. If you suggest two additions, then,
you might want to suggest at least one deletion. And please feel free to
suggest yourself as a potential contributor.

I would ask that you refrain from sending simple diatribes, and try to
contribute in ways that are helpful and productive.

Here, then, is the draft list:

CITIES AND REGIONS                              CONTRIBUTOR

Montreal        words   800
Toronto                 800

BIOGRAPHIES:

ACTORS, 1800-1900

Dressler, Marie         250

DIRECTORS, DESIGNERS, MANAGERS, OTHERS 1800-1900

May, Irwin              150
(Georgia or Ada Campbell)

DRAMATISTS, 1800-1900

Frechette, Louis Honore 100

ACTORS 1900-2000

Bedford, Brian          175
Cariou, Len             175
Cronyn, Hume            250
Hutt, William           250
Oulette, Rose           100
Plummer, Christopher    200
Reid, Kate              175

DIRECTORS, DESIGNERS, MANAGERS, OTHERS 1900-2000

Gascon, Jean            175
Hirsch, John            200
Legault, Emile          100
Lepage, Robert          250
Roux, Jean-Louis        100
Whittaker, Herbert      100

DRAMATISTS, 1900-2000

Barbeau, Jean           175
Bouchard, Michel Marc   100
Cook, Michael           175
Davies, Robertson       200
Dube, Marcel            175
Ferron, Jacques         100
French, David           175
Garneau, Michel         150
Gelinas, Gratien        175
Germain, Jean-Claude    100
Gurik, Robert           150
Highway, Tomson         250
Laberge, Marie          150
Lamarche, Gustave       100
Languirand, Jacques     175
Loranger, Francoise     150
Maillet, Antonine       175
Murrell, John           150
Pollock, Sharon         175
Reaney, James           150
Ryga, George            150
Thomson, Judith         150
Tremblay, Michel        250
Walker, George F        175

ORGANIZATIONS & INSTITUTIONS

PERFORMANCE VENUES 1700-1900

Royal Lyceum Theatre (Tor) 100
Theatre Royal (Montreal)   150

PERFORMANCE VENUES 1900-200

Theatre Passe Muraille     100

THEATRE COMPANIES & FESTIVALS

Theatre du Nouveau Monde    175
Shaw Festival               400
Stratford Festival          600
Tarragon Theatre            150
Toronto Workshop Productions150

Total word length: 9859         No. of Main Entries: 49

Thanks in advance.

Ric Knowles