Welcome to Sher's Shakespeare Index!

Benjamin Sher sher07 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Thu Aug 10 03:30:47 EDT 2000

Dear friends:

You are invited to visit my Sher's Shakespeare Index, a List of Lists
at:

http://www.shakespeareindex.net

This Index attempts, insofar as is humanly and mechanically :-) possible
for one person to do so, to present a choice selection from the vast
world of Shakespeare offerings on the Web.

The site is intuitive in its organization and design. I have made every
effort to make the site useful, aesthetically pleasing and
comprehensive.

An index of this sort has its natural limitations. That is unavoidable,
and I do hope the indulgent visitor will forgive these shortcomings.
There is simply no way to manually sift through the million plus sites
on Shakespeare currently available on the Web, especially in view of the
fact that this index will be updated on a regular basis.

The Home Page is organized as follows:

A) CONTEXT -- Shakespeare's World, which encompasses a variety of
topics. Currently these include: Biography, Classics, Contemporaries,
Culture, England, History, Illustrations, Influence, Medieval,
Multimedia, Mythology, Paganism, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Race,
Religion, Renaissance, Sex, Theater and Women.

B) PLAYS BY GENRE: The three major categories of Comedies, Histories,
Tragedies plus the Sonnets and the Poems. Clicking on any of these
genres will open up a page with links pertaining to that genre as a
whole.

C) INDIVIDUAL PLAYS: Each play (with the exception of the three parts of
Henry VI) is treated separately and extensively. The 1,000 entries, i.e.
links, per play, cover every aspect of the work in question.

D) FESTIVALS: While Festival announcements may be included among the
1,000 entries per Index page, those who wish may, for a fee, advertise
or promote their Shakespeare Festival more visibly on the Festival page.
Currently, it is under construction. Of course, the Festival page, along
with everything else on the site, will always be freely available to
the viewer.

For further information or help on navigating the Index, please click on
the "Instructions" link at the top of the Home Page.

Thank you so much.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Benjamin Sher

--