Notes

Gerda Grice ggrice at ACS.RYERSON.CA
Tue Feb 8 19:06:37 EST 2000

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Denis Salter wrote:

Hello, Denis,

On my lap at the moment I have a copy of the Coles Notes for
Sophocles'_King Oedipus, _Oedipus at Colonus_ and _Antigone__
and a copy of Cliffs Notes on the same three plays--although on the
cover of the Cliffs Notes, the first of the plays is titled _Oedipus the
King_.  What is interesting is that the text inside the covers of the two
sets of Notes is identical, despite the fact that Cliffs names Robert J.
Milch of Brooklyn College as the author of the Notes, while Coles names
as author only "Coles Editorial Board".  Cliffs names 1965 as the
copyright date; in Coles, the date given is 1989. Incidentally, I purchased
both sets of Notes in Toronto several years ago, probably in the early 90s.

I have no idea if there ever was a Mr. Cole (or Coles).  Apparently,
though, Coles Notes have been with us since 1948.  Opposite the Contents
page of the Coles Notes, the following note appears:  "COLES NOTES have
been an indispensible aid to students on five continents since 1948."
This, along with the duplication of text that I found in the Cliffs Notes,
suggests that Coles Notes are not a Canadian phenomenon.

Sorry I don't have any Cliffs or Coles Notes on Shakespeare plays
around.