Notes

Raymond Louter oedipus at REDEEMER.ON.CA
Wed Feb 9 11:10:30 EST 2000

A few years ago I picked up a Coles Notes book with the compelling title
Hamlet: In Everyday English (1964,1967). It is an interesting read
partly because all  the verse has been translated into prose, but also
because of the interpretations imposed on text that was intended to
carry several layers of meaning.

When the Ghost informs Hamlet that Claudius is the killer, Hamlet
exclaims:

    O my prophetic soul!
My uncle!

In the Coles we read this stirring response:

My uncle! This explains my mistrust of him!

I  support the idea of further academic study of the Coles Notes
publishing phenomenon. However, we may need to provide emotional support
to those brave members of the Academy who venture into this territory.

Ray
--
Raymond Louter
Redeemer College