Encyclopedia News; June 9

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Thu Jun 8 23:56:06 EDT 2000

Hello All

Letter of the week:

"Hi,
I just saw the movie to (playwright's name)'s novel ***. I have to say it
was the worst thing I have ever seen. The movie was stupid and had no point.
The dialogue was horrific when it wasn't utterly predictable. It started off
bad and got worse as it went on to the point where it became funny that
something so bad was not only a book but that it also got turned into a
movie with respectable actors. I was more insulted to learn that it was shot
in *** where I live. It was rotten, please let me know if anything else she
has written has been turned into a movie so that I can avoid it like the
plague.
Pissed off movie watcher"
Indeed...

Well, folks, I am off to the Fringe this evening and for the next ten days.
It's my annual dose of the tonic of theatrical just-about-anything. If you
have never experienced the madness of a Fringe Festival, go. As you can see,
things slow down considerably here when I am there.

Let me say this: Thank God for the fans. Many Canadian artists have fans who
make it their jobs to surf the net and make sure that the artists'
information is correct, updated and out there. They do the job that agents
are meant to do, but don't. I have had so much help from people all over the
world who are fans of Canadian artists and who have helped me enormously to
improve a profile, get a picture or, far more difficult, get a date of
birth. Thanks to them all.

I would like to use this occasion to announce that all of July and August
will be taken up by other tasks around the project, especially cleaning up
the archives (which have become unwieldy). So, during that time, there will
be no Thea-Tricks, fewer new profiles added and fewer bulletins. However,
Heavenly Voices, the Reviews and The National Theatre Calendar and Registry
(NATHCARE) and existing profiles will be updated as required. We will also
continue to take nominations for profiles which will be added in the fall.

New Profiles:
Blythe, Domini (Actor) (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/b/blythed.html)
Page, Malcolm (Critic) (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/p/pagem.html)

Updates:
Reviews (3 added); Thea-Tricks; Links; Masthead; Criticism; British
Columbia; Stratford Festival;  Shaw Festival; Messier, M.; Meunier, C.;
Miquelon, I.; Mirbt, F.; "Mon oncle Marcel qui vague vague pres du métro
Berri"; Montero, G.; Montmorency, A.; Moore, L.; Moss, P.; "Mur-Mur"; "My
Fur Lady"; Labreche, G.; Lafortune, R.; Lalonde, R.; Quebec; Lambert, A.;
Lamberts, H.; Languirand, J.; Laprade, L.; Larkin, S.; Slade, B.; Red Barn
Theatre; Chioran, J.; Fraser, B.; Carver, B.; Tova, T.; Rainbow Stage;
Children's Theatre; D'Aquila, D.; King, R.; Cadeau, L.; Tepperman, S.;
Ouzounian, R.; Laroche, R.; Laure, C.; Lavallee, C.; Lea, R.; "Leaving
Home"; Place des Arts; Queen Elizabeth Theatre; National  Arts Centre;
Leduc, D.; Le Flaguais, V.; Lemieux, D.; Designing; Cirque du Soleil;
Lenoir, P.

If you would like a copy of the entire list of profiles, I can send it to
you by e-mail. Also if, for teaching etc., you'd like all the Thea-Tricks
questions and answers since the beginning, that's available too.  (Both at
no charge like all services provided by canadiantheatre.com.)

Don't forget Heavenly Voices for your regional news, job postings or
audition calls. (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/heavenlyvoices.html)

Announce your show in The National Theatre Calendar and Registry (NATHCARE)!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/calendarguidelines.html) If you
want to see what a typical region's and month's line-up can look like go to
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/calendar/atoc99.html)

Register your link too!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/links/linksguidelines.html)

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com If you want to join the Encyclopedia's
mailing list (and get information before anyone else as well as the Monday
Hint for the Thea-Tricks Doozey), simply send an e-mail to
blajeune at total.net with the subject heading "Mailing list"; if you wish to
be removed from this mailing list, simply reply to this e-mail with the
subject heading: "Remove"