Theatre History Slides

James Hoffman jhoffman at CARIBOO.BC.CA
Wed May 3 11:48:32 EDT 2000

Hi Richard,
I agree that a good slide collection is indispensable for teaching theatre
history, along with overheads, videos, diagrams, models, etc. I have slides
that I purchased from a company called KaiDib Films International: a series
called "European Theatres in Action", another named "The Theatre of Bertolt
Brecht," and one titled "Theatre and Playhouse," which is taken directly
from Richard and Helen Leacroft's useful book of the same title. I got
these at bargain rates as the company, I understand, was going out of
business. Just in case they are still around, here is their address:
        KaiDib Films International
        P.O. Box 261
        Glendale, California, 91209
There's also a company in New York that advertises slide collections with
titles like, "World Theatres: An Architectural Profile," "Greek and Roman
Classical Theatre Structures and Performance Iconography," and "Baroque
Theatre: Structures, Performance Iconography and Costume Designs," the last
being one that may nicely provide your need for restoration material. They
have a catalogue. Their address:
        Larry Qualls
        141 Wooster Street
        New York, NY, 10012
Many of the slides I use, however, are ones I have taken myself--whether
travelling through Europe or around BC. There's still a lot of structural
theatre history still standing around! Best wishes in assembling your
collection.
Jim Hoffman

At 01:05 PM 5/1/00 -0300, Richard Sutherland wrote:
>I teach a survey course in modern theatre history at UBC, but feel hampered
>by the lack of visual aids. I am considering assembling a slide collection
>(apparently there are some funds available for such a project), but I'm not
>sure of the best way to go about this. I have been told there are some
>supply houses in the States that provide such material, but I have doubts
>whether any such provider would have the particular sort of material I'm
>looking for (a good representation of a Restoration stage, for example, or
>a good example of an "epic" theatre staging). The other alternative, and
>the one I'm favouring, is to collect the material, which is readily
>available in books, and have someone make slides of it. If anyone out there
>has had to deal with a similar problem, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from
>you.
>
>Thanks for any and all suggestions.
>
>Richard Sutherland

Dr. James Hoffman, Professor, Theatre
University College of the Cariboo
P.O. Box 3010, Kamloops, British Columbia
Canada, V2C 5N3
Voice 250-828-5315, Fax 250-371-5697
www.cariboo.bc.ca/ae/vpa/jhoffman/home.htm