Alliance's cultural position

Egervari, Tibor egervari at UOTTAWA.CA
Wed Nov 15 11:07:25 EST 2000

Dear Colleagues,

I am disturbed by some reactions to the Canadian Alliance's position on the
funding of the arts and culture. I am troubled that scholars or artistes would
refuse any questioning of the status quo as if the current system had some magic
God
given justification.

I might be wrong, but considering  the vehemence of quite a few attacks, Deborah
Grey’s response seems to me rather tame. Her only audacity is to ask for “greater
transparency and accountability” in the way of distributing public money.
This is hardly censorship. As a matter of fact one would like to know how much
public money went down in Garth Drabinsky’s sinking ship. Or how much did we help
the
owners of the Cinar film company to illegally become millionaires. It would be
rather
interesting to understand as well the intricacies of public support for the
Cirque du Soleil until it achieved its natural goal: joining Disneyland and Las
Vegas.

I am rather surprised that very few people seem to be willing to re-examine our
current system considering how badly it performs in some areas. For instance,
according to the 1996 census,  the average yearly earnings of musicians are 12,600;

that of dancers 11,900 and actors' 17,000.  Bad enough, but even worst if one
considers that
some “internationally known” artistes in the same categories make several times
these amounts for one appearance. I would understand these discrepancies if it
were the market place that decided that X is a100 times "better" than Y. However in

the world of subsidies it is the state or its “arms length” agents who make the
decision. Or do they? After all it might happen that no on really knows what is
going
on.

On the public's side I am troubled that a ticket to heavily subsidized events,
opera, classical concerts or even theatre could cost more than a day's salary at
minimum wage.

Finally, the main argument for peer judgment is of course not foolproof. Moliere
never made it to the Academie Francaise and the Impressionists were thrown
out of the Salon. And how much state support would receive today's violators of
taboos – not only Judeo-Christian taboos but politically correct taboos as well
-like Baudelaire or Wilde?

Would it be so bad to have a political debate about it?

Tibor Egervari

--
MZ